Barefoot Running: An update



So, I thought I would update the progress of my transition to the Vibram Five fingers (My first post: http://musingtothink.blogspot.com/2010/07/running-shoe-less_14.html). It has been 5 (going on 6) months now, and I can't really say I miss "regular" shoes. I wear my dress shoes to work (because I have to), and occasionally converses for when I go out, but other than that the five fingers I wear work perfectly fine. They come in handy most noticeably when running, which is when they shine the most.

I have three pair now:

The Bilkas for running:


The KSO and the Speeds for casual wear:





My KSOs were my first pair, and have considerable wear on them now. I am considering getting a replacement pair. I am not surprised, since they were my first "barefoot" shoe and took a beating in the first few months of me wearing them all the time. The Speeds are very nice for causal wear and are comfortable and the warmest of all three. They fit more loose than the KSOs, which fit like a glove. However, I had to order them from Australia, since they are not sold here in the US. This makes them my most expensive pair. The bilkas are the shiners all around, since I use them for running and lifting. They have held up well to say the very least. They fit really well while still allowing my feet to perform like they want to. The only wear on these (and the speeds) have been on my index and middle toe. I am positive this is due to how I strike my feet, but I am unsure to rather or not this is how they should wear down.

My mileage has gone up significantly. I only do long runs once or twice a week, due to time constrictions. I started out only running 2 miles or so in the Vibrams. Now I can easily run 7 miles, if not more, without pain. The first 1-2 miles are the hardest (since your body is just warming up) but around mile 3 I feel like I can run forever. The main restriction is time, which kinda blows. The initial foot pain and calf pain I had for the first two months is all gone. I remember mornings where I could not even walk after running in the vibrams, but those no longer exist. My time has also gone up as I have learned how to run barefoot more effectively, but I do not consider this a measure of progress. Barefoot /distance running is more about pacing, and often I have to slow myself down. I tend to average anywhere from 5-6 miles per hour, which is typical. On days when I don't do the long distance runs, I do interval sprints. However, I have injured myself (or gotten pain) in my outer knees over doing this. I think I was running wrong in the vibrams at high speeds (11mph+), and putting undue stress on my toes/knees running wrong at higher speeds. I have corrected this to a degree, but it is still a learning process even this far into the game.

I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from people who see me in the fivefingers. Most people are like "are those toe shoes?!" and then follow up with "I bet those are comfortable". I find it interesting that most people do complain about their shoes and assume that toe shoes with no soles are more comfortable. Other responses I get are generally from people who have heard of the shoes and wonder how they are working out for me. They ask me how I like them, and why did I get them. Surprisingly, a lot of individuals who have asked me and seem interested in the Vibrams are military personnel. They seem to know about them and how well they perform. Most often they ask me how they are working for me and where they could possibly get a pair. I have come across a few individuals at the gym who wear vibrams, and the occasional runner when I am out. The last group of people I get are the ones who don't say anything but look oddly, or the individuals who say "those look funny/weird/wrong". My general response is "oh well, they are pretty fantastic", or something along those lines, since im not generally concerned about what people may think about their aesthetics (primarily since I am concerned about their function). Surprisingly as well, these people tend to be in the minority, as most people may say they look odd or different, but are generally concerned about if they are comfortable or not.

My main concern now is the winter. I am addicted in a sense to running barefoot or in the five fingers, and I fear that snow may crush my addiction. I am looking into the Vibram Flows, which are a cold weather running version. However, none of the vibrams are waterproof, which is quite disappointing. They do dry off quickly, but will this be enough for 30 degrees or less of cold weather? Only time will tell. However, one this is certain, I love these shoes and I don't think I will be looking at "normal shows" ever again, unless they have little to no support. My feet and legs have never been healthier, and I actually enjoy running now --- pain free. Rather you think they look funny or not, these things work, and they work quite well. Goodbye "regular" shoes...you won't be missed.

If any of you are interested, go to the Vibram mainsite (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/) and search for a retailer in your area. If you cant find one, there are plenty of retailers listed at birthdayshoes.com, and they are all authorized. It is important to go to one of these main sites and not just "ebay" a pair, since there are a lot of fakes out there.

A really nifty article: http://neuroanthropology.net/2009/07/26/lose-your-shoes-is-barefoot-better/

Comments

  1. Maybe get some Injinji's to help keep the warmth in? They've got that smartwool version too now but they're just classics, I don't know how well those perform for running daily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mental health Madness in Mecklenburg county

Coming out of the Closet ( as an Agnostic in the Bible Belt)